Translate

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What a turnover???

Everyone in my family will tell you that I am not the best baker. I have got numerous stories of my epic failures when it comes to baking. From rock hard Cinnamon rolls to icing on a cake that just drips right off. They make for good stories though. Since I am in a giving mood I will share one with you before I give you this awesome turnover recipe.

I think I was in my freshmen year of college, still very kitchen illiterate, and my grandmother always made this pound cake with what we call penucci icing. As I have found out, its really only caramel icing. We never understood where she got that name from, until I was thumbing through an old cook book and found the recipe labeled just that. Anyways so if you have ever made any kind of icing in your life you know that the proportions of the different ingredients is pretty important. Little ol 19 year old me didn't know the difference and I had my mind set on making this cake just like grandmother did. I was out picking things up from the grocery store and I asked my mom how many sticks of butter do I need to make this icing, she replied (or in my mind this is what I heard) we need 4 sticks. So picked everything, went home, started cooking the cake. Cake finished, it was beautiful!!

I was as high as a kite because now I am just one step away from beating this! So I start making the icing, I would like to say that I looked at the recipe but....I didn't  and mom said that we needed 4 sticks of butter. So into the pot when 4 sticks of butter, sugar etc. bubbles up bubbles down ready to pour onto the cake. Now normally when you pour this icing down onto the cake it should stick and firm up. Caramel icing isn't one to really continue to run. Well I started to pour the icing and that sucker just ran,  I would have to scrape around the sides to re-ice the cake... I was so defeated! So everyone came in cause they want a piece of memory that this cake serves, and people are like why is the icing so runny? I didn't have a clue. It tasted delicious! As you feel your arteries clog up. But hey, doesn't anything with that amount of butter??

We chalked it up that I didn't let it boil long enough, until later that night. My mom went in to cook dinner and she asked me where the butter was. I replied its in the icing...from then on when ever I make this cake or bake anything for the matter this story comes up. Lessons learned... always read the recipe and if there is any need for 4 sticks of butter check again!

I found this recipe on food network. It is an Alton Brown recipe, and he totally geeks me out to the core in his shows. So I knew this should be good. This is a salmon turnover. I followed the recipe to the T and then made a dill dipping sauce from Paula Dean.

These two recipes are so easy!!! You definitely have to try these out!! Steven and I also thought about trying it with black beans instead of rice. You can pretty much put anything in this!! Be careful not to overfill them... but they are still good if you do!

Salmon  Turnover

Ingredients
  • 1 sheet puff pastry
  • Flour, for dusting
  • 1 can boneless, skinless, salmon
  • 1/2 cup Sauteed mushrooms
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons sour pickle relish
  • 1 cup cooked white, brown or fried rice
  • 2 to 3 chopped scallions
  • 1 tablespoon parsley leaves, chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Lightly flour the counter top. Roll puff pastry so there are no seams. Cut into 4 squares.
In a bowl, combine salmon, mushrooms, pickle relish, rice, scallions, parsley, salt, and pepper. Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of each square. Brush inside edges of puff pastry with egg wash and fold over to make a triangle. Using a fork, seal the edges. Poke a slit or two in the top of each turnover. Brush tops with egg wash. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.



For the dill sauce we made a little modifications. I didn't use the cucumber and the dill we used was from a spice jar and we just tasted it as we added it. So add these things to your liking!

Dill Sauce

Ingredients

  • 1 English cucumber, peeled, grated, and drained for 1 hour
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup fresh dill, finely chopped

  • Directions

    Mix in a bowl until all ingredients are combined



    What is your favorite cooking mishap? I would love to hear!

     

    Happy Cooking!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment