Translate

Monday, November 12, 2012

Stuffed With A Bit Of Heaven

 
So this recipe comes from a pintrest board. Yea, I know… pintrest the new crack for online DIY and just pure awesome randomness! This dinner was made with two different recipes, one for the stuffed chicken and the other for the zucchini chips. There are a lot of modifications to tonight’s dinner, because I thought that we had ricotta cheese, however it had gone bad. I didn’t want to fork out the money for panko crumbs, so I used good ol’American Wal-Mart branded bread crumbs.
For the stuffing I used a hand full of Monterrey Jack cheese (shredded), about two tbsp of cream cheese, spinach, and cherry tomatoes, small clove of garlic and rosemary. These changes were made not because the recipe was bad… it was just the circumstances stated above!! I can only attest to my modifications; however I believe that this recipe would be good as is. Also, just a side note, I think it would be good if it was stuffed with feta, spinach, etc, although not everyone is a fan of feta cheese.
Here is the recipe for the stuffed baked chicken- at the bottom of the recipe I have the picture that the website posted and what mine actually turned out like. When it is just you and your family at home, what difference does it make to make a beautiful presentation? I prefer tastiness over presentation any day!!

Panko Crusted Chicken Stuffed with Ricotta, Spinach, Tomatoes, and Basil:

Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 1 cup of low fat ricotta cheese
  • Small handful of baby spinach, chopped
  • Small handful of grape tomatoes, diced (remove the seeds if possible)
  • 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Dash of oregano
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • Italian seasoned panko crumbs
  • 2 tsp olive oil
 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Combine the ricotta, spinach, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, basil, garlic, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Rinse the chicken breasts then cut a long horizontal slit along the center of the thin long edge of the chicken breast, nearly through to the other side. Fill the cavity of the chicken breast with the ricotta mixture. Season each side of the chicken with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Carefully dip the chicken breasts in the panko crumbs until both sides are evenly covered. Close the slit together with toothpicks (or if you are like me and realize that you don’t have toothpicks, simply break some kebab sticks in half and use them).
Heat the olive oil in an OVEN PROOF skillet on the stove over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, place the chicken in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown, flip the chicken over and place the skillet into the oven. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy.
Their Chicken
My chicken
The other part of dinner tonight was a zucchini chip. Basically thinly sliced zucchini, with a type of breading baked in the oven. Steve liked the zucchini chips, but they weren’t my favorite thing that I have made before. I think it would be good just to place slices on a pan and throw a little olive oil and a little bit of seasoning would be better instead of breading them like this. But I gave it a shot and now we know. I had to modify this recipe because I can’t use apple cider vinegar (allergy to apples… I know I’m weird!) , which could’ve been the very reason these didn’t taste like I thought they would have.  I could have also sliced the zucchini two thinly as well. But I couldn’t get the slice to crisp up like a chip; instead they got a little soggy, even after I tried to broil them to get them a little crispy. Any way’s if one of you figures out where I went wrong in the process let me know and I will definitely retry to make them!

Zucchini Chips                              

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • heaping 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup cold milk (I used oat milk)
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 1/2 cups sliced zucchini (about 2 small zucchinis)
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a medium bowl combine breadcrumbs, cheese (if using) and black pepper.
In separate bowl add flour, milk and vinegar.  Gently stir until combined but do not over stir.
Dip zucchini slices in flour mixture and then dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
Place coated zucchini slices on a baking sheet (I line mine with non stick foil for easy clean up!) and bake for 30 minutes, flipping the slices over once halfway through cooking, or until browned and crisp.
Nutritional Info:
Makes 2 servings.
Nutrients per serving:  Calories: 224.5, Cal. from Fat: 33.5, Total Fat: 3.5g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 41.5g, Fiber: 6.5g, Sugars: 12g, Protein: 9g, Sodium: 459mg, Chol: 0mg
That’s all I got for now Internet world!!
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment