Translate

Monday, February 24, 2014

Caramel Cake

Baking the cake
Steve and I are recently engaged and before that happened; his mother had a birthday. I took it upon myself to offer to bake her birthday cake. Now as you know, when you off to bake someone a cake you want it to be perfect. I know...I know...I hear you all already feeding me my words back "it’s not about the presentation, it’s about the taste". But Steve's mom is a good cook and therefore I wanted this cake to be spectacular! So I was all wrapped up in nerves, a good thing Steve loves me otherwise I would've been thrown on the street, and finally decided to look for a caramel cake. 

So instead of heading to Pinterest, where it’s hit or miss sometimes, I went to the full proof source of Food Network, which is where I found Paula Deen's caramel cake recipe. She has been in the news lately, however no matter what comes out of kitchen it is ALWAYS a hit! Maybe it’s the 10 tons of butter…but hey it’s always good!

After adding the filling to first layer
A couple of things I did differently. She used round cake pans; however I did not have multiple round or square cake pans. So I used on long cake pan, second I did not use all the frosting, only about half of it. Before I share the recipe I have to tell you, that this was the SADDEST cake I have ever made…I was so embarrassed...not that it mattered in the long run! Sometimes it the saddest cakes that taste the best!

It was sad because of a couple of reasons: 1. I did not let the cake cool down and rest. 2. When I was stacking the two pieces on top of each other I should have put the two ends of the cake on opposite sides, instead I put the two middles onto of each other, which ultimately caused my cake to sag only on one side. I hope they don’t deter you from making this cake!!  I also did not put any nuts on the cake either.

A very sad but delicious Caramel Cake
Ingredients
For the cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
3 cups sifted self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the filling:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream, or more if needed
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
Directions
For the cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.

Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add granulated sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4-inches above counter dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

For the filling:

While cake is baking, in a saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Remove cake layers from oven and allow cake to remain in pans as you prepare to stack and fill. Remove first layer and invert onto cake plate. Pierce cake layer with a toothpick over entire surface. Spread 1/3 of filling mixture on cake layer. Top with second layer, repeat process. Top with last layer and repeat process again.

*Cook's Note: As I stack layers together, I stick them with toothpicks to prevent cake from shifting.

For the frosting:

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat with a handheld electric mixer until it reaches a spreading consistency. At this time it may be necessary to add a tablespoon of heavy cream, or more, if frosting gets too thick. Just be sure to add cream is small amounts because you can always "add to", but you can't take away. Frost cake and sprinkle top with chopped nuts, if desired.

 


 How did yours turn out?


Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment