Translate

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Leek and Potato Soup!

Happy New Year Everyone!! 

I am sure the rest of you out there are experiencing what we are experiencing here, cold weather!! I love the cold, however I love to be warm in the cold. So for dinner I thought it would be great to make a soup and hot sandwich. Thanks to my loving brother and his wife I got a Julia Child's basics cook book! It is definitely an interesting read! If you know how to do the basic functions in the kitchen than the world is yours!!

So the very first recipe is a leek and potato soup! And man was it easy and delicious!! We also made hot ham sandwiches on the George Formen. If you put butter on the bread and then place it on the hot Formen it makes a nice crunchy coating on the sandwich. 

Here's the recipe for the soup! I hope you enjoy!! 

Leek and Potato Soup 

(serving size about 6)

Ingredients 

  • 3 cups of sliced leeks (white and tender green parts)
  • 3 cups peeled and roughly chopped "baking potatoes
  • 6 cups of water 
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche (optional)

Directions 

Clean leaks and potatoes. To clean the leeks, slice long ways down the middle and separate each under running water. Bring all ingredients, except for sour cream, to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan. Cover partially and simmer 20 to 30 minutes until vegetables are tender. Correct seasoning. Serve as is, or puree and top each portion with a dollop of the cream! 

I ended up serving as is because we didn't have anything to puree the soup with. I have had this soup pureed  before when I live in Europe and it was just as good! I hope this soup brings warmth to your day!! 

What is your favorite soup on a cold winter day??

No comments:

Post a Comment